To my dear beautiful daughter,
致我亲爱的美丽女儿
I am writing you a letter.
我在给你写信
That's right, a good old-fashioned letter.
没错 是封老式的书信
It's a lost art, really.
真是门失传的手艺了
I have a confession to make.
我要向你坦白一件事
I didn't like you very much at first.
当初我并不怎么喜欢你
You were just this annoying, litter blob.
你很烦人 像粘人的小肉球
You smelled nice. Most of the time.
多数时候 你都很香
But you didn't seem to have much interest in me.
但我对你并不太感兴趣
Which I, of course, found vaguely insulting.
这么说确实有些商人
It was you and your mom against the world.
你和你的母亲冒天下之大不韪
Funny how some things never change.
有趣的是 有些事从未改变
So I cruised along,doing my thing,
我一路奔波 我行我素
Acting the fool, not really understanding
装疯卖傻 却没意识到
how being a parent changes you.
为人父母会怎样改变自己
And I don't remember the exact moment everything changed.
我不记得是什么时候 一切都变了
I just know that it did.
我只知道它变了
One minute I was impenetrable.
前一分钟我还坚不可摧
Nothing could touch me.
没有什么能伤害到我
The next, my heart was somehow beating outside my chest,
下一分钟 我的心脏就开始在胸腔外跳动
exposed to the elements.
暴露在外界的纷繁复杂中
Loving you has been the most profound,
爱着你是我生命中最深刻
intense,painful experience of my life.
最热情 最痛苦的经历
In fact,it's been almost too much to bear.
事实上 它几乎让我无法承受
As your father,
作为你的父亲
I made a silent vow to protect you from the world,
我默默祈祷让你不受外界伤害
never realizing I was the one
却从未想到
who would end up hurting you the most.
我会是那个伤你最深的人
When I flash forward, my heart breaks.
想象今后 我心破碎
Mostly because I can't imagine you
很大程度上 是因为我已经无法想象
speaking of me with any sort of pride.
你提到我时还会感到自豪
How could you?
你怎么会自豪呢
Your father is a child in a man's body.
你的父亲就像男人躯壳里的孩童
He cares for nothing and everything at the same time.
他事事关心 而又事事无所谓
Noble in thought,weak in action.
思想高贵却行为软弱
Something has to change.Something has to give.
要改变些什么 给予些什么了
It's getting dark.
已经渐渐黑了
Too dark to see.
黑的什么也看不见了